Asendia, the joint venture between La Poste and Swiss Post, today publishes its whitepaper "The secrets of e-commerce success in Switzerland". This new report provides cross-border retailers with a toolkit to expand their e-commerce business in Switzerland, a small country full of potential.
For the past eight years, Switzerland has been the most competitive economy in the world and perfect conditions for e-commerce driven exporters. With 61% of Swiss online shoppers (3.1m people) spending CHF 3b / USD 3.08b / RMB 20b annually in cross-border purchases and the country ranking second in Europe – after the UK – for the amount consumers spend online each year (CHF 2,400 / USD 2,460 / RMB 16,000 per capita), Switzerland proves itself to be a promising and strong market for foreign retailers.
However, having a multi-cultural population (German, French, and Italian speaking), non-EU customs and taxes, and payment preferences, Switzerland can be a daunting country for e-commerce expansion. With this in mind, Asendia combined insights on the market itself, consumer behaviour, delivery trends, and practical advice, to guide international businesses in their Swiss e-commerce adventures.
Asendia’s recommendations include:
1. Make sure all goods and services are cleared with the Swiss Customs Administration (facilitated by Swiss Post). Be aware that custom duties are charged depending on the weight, which is unusual compared to other countries
2. Choose a customs clearance option that fits your business’ needs. The Postal Clearance requires minimum integration and upfront investment, ideal for small businesses. While the Commercial Clearance guarantees that there will be no additional costs for shoppers on delivery and enables bulk clearance for large volumes.
3. Bear in mind that it is common practice to offer prices in CHF and to be locally registered, as this will increase trust with consumers.
4. Do not forget that electronic goods require a Swiss approval mark and a manual in German, French, and Italian
5. Build your customer base by using a reliable delivery provider. Trust in delivery is a key requirement for Swiss shoppers and they trust Swiss Post, the national postal service. As Swiss Post’s international operation, Asendia is in an ideal position to offer all postal and parcel solutions of the national service.
Fill in the form below to download our Swiss e-commerce whitepaper:
Related News & Blog
Asendia's response to the Daily Mail article
Asendia is a business with strong values and a proud heritage, and we empathise with anyone affected by criminal activity.News